Skip to main content

The Amoeba that is Day 2 & 3

I am going to combine Day 2 and Day 3 training since they both feel like one big amoeba sloshing around in my brain.

First, let me say, that before Day 2 and 3 training, I began playing with the tablets and discovering some of these sights and such that I had heard mentioned and suggested.  I figured out the whole Google Drive thing and am now in the cloud.  The scan feature on Drive is super cool.  I then figured out how to upload documents and links to the playlist builder on the tablets from my Google Drive. Next, I created an Edmodo page for my students, got some apps, and began “tinkering” with that.  For those that are a bit reluctant with technology, you just have to start clicking and learning.  You really can’t mess up anything and, if you do, in most cases, there is usually a nice delete button to get rid of whatever you did.  For the most part, it’s a lot of common sense.  And never underestimate the “help” link; I have worn that one out.

So I was feeling pretty good going into Day 2 and 3; had some tools in my toolbox and such.

The buzzword Day 2 was personalized learning and student choice; using student learning styles to empower their understanding of their own mastery through guided choice/pace.  What a mouthful!!...... Buzzword… Accountable Independence. We used the day to explore Language Arts APPS, Playlist Builder, and Amplifying Lessons.  Our physical space in the classroom may need some adjusting and changing to more group type areas such as work areas, help stations, charging stations, etc; definitely something I had not thought about.  It was a pretty productive day overall.

Day 3 was AWESOME!!!
This day was spent in break out sessions of your choice;  Animoto, QR Codes, Flipboard, Podcasting/Vodcasting, Edmodo vs. Moodle., independent study, etc.

So here is my opinion on Edmodo vs. Moodle. 
What is best for the 6th grade student?......Edmodo; kid-familiar interface, easy to use, more kid like display, great introduction to a professional learning community
What is best for the 8th grade student?.....Moodle; more advanced for the more advanced student who is familiar with professional learning communities and maybe used in high school.  Let’s face it….they use this in college…….let’s not rush things here. 

During my last session of the day the media storm arrived. 

Did I say this was going to be HUGE???!!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOT CAMP PANDEMONIUM

Let me start by saying, WOW!, what a day;  Excited students, teachers, administrators, staff, volunteers, and parents. Northwest Middle was hopping with the Tablet Buzz yesterday.  Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students (700+) entered the gym and were greeted with smiling, happy faces.  It was a busy morning; everyone was exhilarated and filled with anticipation. All Smiles! Awesome Sixth Grade Teachers As students trickled in, teachers grabbed groups of 23 students, 3 boxes of tablets, and covers and headed off to their classrooms to begin BOOT CAMP. Before I go any further, I must digress and explain our school environment,  more specifically,  the 6th grade "village". Let me introduce you to our 6th grade "village": We reside in trailers, a huge pod of more than 12 "mobile units" connected by outdoor boardwalks and awnings.  We are backed by woods and close to a nearby farm that I have never seen, but have heard ...

Ode to Connectivity

Connectivity, Connectivity, Why are you such the irritating mystery? You thrash us to and fro, Knocking us out in vicious throws. By now, I thought you would discover, the needs - already uncovered. But instead we continue to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, distribution seems way too late. We are bound by your limitations, will you be ready by Holiday Vacation? What is standing in your way; the mobiles, the server, the electronic highway. We need several miracles here to get this thing going, get it in gear!! As we wait, and wait, and wait, for Thursday  -  the magical date. Stress Test - Yes, it was! STAY TUNED!!! (Distribution to 6th Grade Thursday, September 12th)

Great Success is always Predicted to Fail

How many times am I going to hear this??? "The kids will break them, lose them, and they will get stolen." "In 2 years the tablets will be irrelevant and useless." "The tablets will not solve our educational problems." By the way, educational problems will never be solved.  (That should be in that quote with death and taxes.) Is is not just human nature to resist change?  Absolutely!  But, hey, is all this negativity really necessary?   History speaks amazing success of many innovations and ideas that were doubted and predicted to fail. What I see is a general lack of knowledge, written by a whole bunch of people that went to school, but yet, have never spent one day teaching school.  FYI:  It's real different now. I would like to hear from an actual student;   talking about how the tablets are not going to help them, or how the tablets are useless, or how the tablets will be irrelevant in their education in 2 years, then, I think I would...