Skip to main content

Things are going well!

I must apologize for neglecting my blog now for so long, but this year has been one of change, challenge, and struggle for us at NWMS; so many professional and personal struggles have overwhelmed our staff this year.  We continue to hold on and stay strong. 
That's the good news!
Here is what's up with the tablets. 
We are now about 4 months into tablet deployment and I have to say, it has been seamless.  The tablets are working great!  Gone are the days........ right, you remember those. 
Connectivity is a dream as we no longer have to worry about the dreaded grey fans.  The only time we lose it is when the whole system goes down for all computers, but that is super rare.The quality of the device itself is just awesome;  strong glass, innovative protective cases, high quality chargers, keyboards,etc.  No issues there.
It has been extremely beneficial that the concept behind the "personalized learning"  initiative has been redefined to include everything we do to personalize learning; not just a "tablet initiative".  That has taken off the pressure to constantly use the tablets;  which in turn, has sparked MORE creativity in designing ways to integrate it into our curriculum. 
Weird how that works!! 
It is a delicate balance; one in which you need to know the needs of your students; using that to make decisions on how to best use the tablets to enhance instruction. (Blog entry on that.... Coming soon!)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOT CAMP PANDEMONIUM

Let me start by saying, WOW!, what a day;  Excited students, teachers, administrators, staff, volunteers, and parents. Northwest Middle was hopping with the Tablet Buzz yesterday.  Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students (700+) entered the gym and were greeted with smiling, happy faces.  It was a busy morning; everyone was exhilarated and filled with anticipation. All Smiles! Awesome Sixth Grade Teachers As students trickled in, teachers grabbed groups of 23 students, 3 boxes of tablets, and covers and headed off to their classrooms to begin BOOT CAMP. Before I go any further, I must digress and explain our school environment,  more specifically,  the 6th grade "village". Let me introduce you to our 6th grade "village": We reside in trailers, a huge pod of more than 12 "mobile units" connected by outdoor boardwalks and awnings.  We are backed by woods and close to a nearby farm that I have never seen, but have heard ...

Ode to Connectivity

Connectivity, Connectivity, Why are you such the irritating mystery? You thrash us to and fro, Knocking us out in vicious throws. By now, I thought you would discover, the needs - already uncovered. But instead we continue to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, distribution seems way too late. We are bound by your limitations, will you be ready by Holiday Vacation? What is standing in your way; the mobiles, the server, the electronic highway. We need several miracles here to get this thing going, get it in gear!! As we wait, and wait, and wait, for Thursday  -  the magical date. Stress Test - Yes, it was! STAY TUNED!!! (Distribution to 6th Grade Thursday, September 12th)

Great Success is always Predicted to Fail

How many times am I going to hear this??? "The kids will break them, lose them, and they will get stolen." "In 2 years the tablets will be irrelevant and useless." "The tablets will not solve our educational problems." By the way, educational problems will never be solved.  (That should be in that quote with death and taxes.) Is is not just human nature to resist change?  Absolutely!  But, hey, is all this negativity really necessary?   History speaks amazing success of many innovations and ideas that were doubted and predicted to fail. What I see is a general lack of knowledge, written by a whole bunch of people that went to school, but yet, have never spent one day teaching school.  FYI:  It's real different now. I would like to hear from an actual student;   talking about how the tablets are not going to help them, or how the tablets are useless, or how the tablets will be irrelevant in their education in 2 years, then, I think I would...