Skip to main content

How do you Personalize Learning?

So here are a few ways we are doing it.  How are you?

Reading Fluency:  I use AIMS Web data (student lexile levels) to pair students into leveled partners.  Then I select coordinating grade level selections for students to practice reading fluency 4 days a week.  Right now I have about 4 different grade level texts going on in my room at once.  Students read for one minute with partners, taking turns practicing their awesome fluency skills. I teach the students how to listen to each other, track for their partner, and graph their WPM.  The students read the same selection 4 days in a row, then after reading on the 4th day, they write a summary.  After 4 times, they know what it is about, and those difficult words on day 1 are no longer difficult. We make goals based on their data and work towards those goals until the next assessment.  I have found a lot of success with this and it provides for some great individualized data for each student.

Small Group Instruction or Tiered Assignments:  Using data and IEP support goals, I group students into 4 groups in my classroom.  Students rotate through various stations, including "meet with teacher".  This allows me to see all students, but vary my instruction and independent support level within that group based on need.  Independent stations vary on what we are working on at the time and can include things like word work, reading and tagging practice,writing practice, independent skill practice, tablet group discussions, or even work with tutor. Within these groups, tiered assignments, even choice boards can be used depending upon student level of understanding and mastery.

Genius Hour:  If you're not doing it, you should be! Our team spends 1 hour on Friday afternoon letting students choose what they want to learn about.  They research, blog about their experience, and prepare and present a final product. WOW! They love it and they get so excited. Talk about personalization!!!

 I am always looking for new ideas; especially in the vocabulary and spelling area.

How do you personalize in your classroom?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOT CAMP PANDEMONIUM

Let me start by saying, WOW!, what a day;  Excited students, teachers, administrators, staff, volunteers, and parents. Northwest Middle was hopping with the Tablet Buzz yesterday.  Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students (700+) entered the gym and were greeted with smiling, happy faces.  It was a busy morning; everyone was exhilarated and filled with anticipation. All Smiles! Awesome Sixth Grade Teachers As students trickled in, teachers grabbed groups of 23 students, 3 boxes of tablets, and covers and headed off to their classrooms to begin BOOT CAMP. Before I go any further, I must digress and explain our school environment,  more specifically,  the 6th grade "village". Let me introduce you to our 6th grade "village": We reside in trailers, a huge pod of more than 12 "mobile units" connected by outdoor boardwalks and awnings.  We are backed by woods and close to a nearby farm that I have never seen, but have heard ...

Ode to Connectivity

Connectivity, Connectivity, Why are you such the irritating mystery? You thrash us to and fro, Knocking us out in vicious throws. By now, I thought you would discover, the needs - already uncovered. But instead we continue to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, distribution seems way too late. We are bound by your limitations, will you be ready by Holiday Vacation? What is standing in your way; the mobiles, the server, the electronic highway. We need several miracles here to get this thing going, get it in gear!! As we wait, and wait, and wait, for Thursday  -  the magical date. Stress Test - Yes, it was! STAY TUNED!!! (Distribution to 6th Grade Thursday, September 12th)

Great Success is always Predicted to Fail

How many times am I going to hear this??? "The kids will break them, lose them, and they will get stolen." "In 2 years the tablets will be irrelevant and useless." "The tablets will not solve our educational problems." By the way, educational problems will never be solved.  (That should be in that quote with death and taxes.) Is is not just human nature to resist change?  Absolutely!  But, hey, is all this negativity really necessary?   History speaks amazing success of many innovations and ideas that were doubted and predicted to fail. What I see is a general lack of knowledge, written by a whole bunch of people that went to school, but yet, have never spent one day teaching school.  FYI:  It's real different now. I would like to hear from an actual student;   talking about how the tablets are not going to help them, or how the tablets are useless, or how the tablets will be irrelevant in their education in 2 years, then, I think I would...