Skip to main content

Happy New Year!

It's a New Year and with that comes a time to renew, refocus, and regroup.  Although I am over a month late.....

So the tablets are on their way back; as it looks now, next school year.  We have received numerous requests from the county to fill out questionnaires and reflections about the PACE initiative, giving teacher's a voice and opinion.  Our in house Technology guy has also sent out his own call for feedback and opened discussions about how it will look and run in our school; what worked and what didn't.  And tomorrow I attend the first county PACE meeting as the teacher representative from my school. (I should get all the updates on the initiative there.)  Post soon to follow.

Meanwhile, the wifi fairies have been diligently been rewiring and placing WAPS in every mobile.  Yay!

I just completed a really cool video; actually Robin Britt (AKA:  TECH. GUY) just completed a really cool video about "Personalizing by flexing the environment".  Link soon to follow.

So there are 2 new teaching resolutions on the table that must have my complete focus and direction right now.  One is to continue my pursuit of a classroom that promotes personalized learning.  The second is to complete my National Board Renewal.  Both of which I am hoping to intertwine and mesh into one big pedagogical smoothie.

Coming back from holiday break has been so difficult.  We've maybe had 2 full weeks due to delays, early dismissal, and this huge snow storm  My brain; turned off and relaxed. Then BAM! all the sudden back to making 1,000 decisions every minute.  Tough transition!  Mix that with the holiday post blues and bitter cold and this just pounds any motivation or drive that may be stirring.

But we definitely have some exciting things coming and a whole lot to talk about......


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOT CAMP PANDEMONIUM

Let me start by saying, WOW!, what a day;  Excited students, teachers, administrators, staff, volunteers, and parents. Northwest Middle was hopping with the Tablet Buzz yesterday.  Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students (700+) entered the gym and were greeted with smiling, happy faces.  It was a busy morning; everyone was exhilarated and filled with anticipation. All Smiles! Awesome Sixth Grade Teachers As students trickled in, teachers grabbed groups of 23 students, 3 boxes of tablets, and covers and headed off to their classrooms to begin BOOT CAMP. Before I go any further, I must digress and explain our school environment,  more specifically,  the 6th grade "village". Let me introduce you to our 6th grade "village": We reside in trailers, a huge pod of more than 12 "mobile units" connected by outdoor boardwalks and awnings.  We are backed by woods and close to a nearby farm that I have never seen, but have heard ...

Ode to Connectivity

Connectivity, Connectivity, Why are you such the irritating mystery? You thrash us to and fro, Knocking us out in vicious throws. By now, I thought you would discover, the needs - already uncovered. But instead we continue to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, distribution seems way too late. We are bound by your limitations, will you be ready by Holiday Vacation? What is standing in your way; the mobiles, the server, the electronic highway. We need several miracles here to get this thing going, get it in gear!! As we wait, and wait, and wait, for Thursday  -  the magical date. Stress Test - Yes, it was! STAY TUNED!!! (Distribution to 6th Grade Thursday, September 12th)

Great Success is always Predicted to Fail

How many times am I going to hear this??? "The kids will break them, lose them, and they will get stolen." "In 2 years the tablets will be irrelevant and useless." "The tablets will not solve our educational problems." By the way, educational problems will never be solved.  (That should be in that quote with death and taxes.) Is is not just human nature to resist change?  Absolutely!  But, hey, is all this negativity really necessary?   History speaks amazing success of many innovations and ideas that were doubted and predicted to fail. What I see is a general lack of knowledge, written by a whole bunch of people that went to school, but yet, have never spent one day teaching school.  FYI:  It's real different now. I would like to hear from an actual student;   talking about how the tablets are not going to help them, or how the tablets are useless, or how the tablets will be irrelevant in their education in 2 years, then, I think I would...