Skip to main content

Hear me "ROAR"!

My big question is... WHERE has this book been hiding all these years?!  What a GEM!  The futuristic world in this book is so unique and different from anything I have ever read, yet made so familiar through masterfully crafted, vivid descriptions.  In other words, this author can WRITE!!

My mind is swimming with pod-fighters, Ghengis borgs, The Golden Turrets, Fit Mix, plastic flowers, Awen the Dog?, The Shadows, Mutants, and giant Hawks. What a wild ride!  Mika lives in futuristic London behind a concrete wall designed to protect this overcrowded population from rabid animals; apparently animals carry a deadly Plague.  Mika has a twin sister who disappeared, presumed dead to most, but not to him.  A mysterious organization infiltrates Mika's school and begins recruiting kids for virtual reality pod-fighting games offering huge rewards to the winners.  Maybe this is Mika's opportunity to finally find his sister or at least uncover the truth of what's really going on behind The Wall.  Seems all the mutants are pretty good at this pod-fighting thing, but winning is not just about glory.  It's risky and dangerous! Mika is an intelligent, tough kid that has the power of the "Roar" within him.  Bet you're just are curious about that one as I was.

Mix Hunger Games and Divergent together.  Add a dash of Maze Runner and a pinch of Michael Vey.  Sift in some supernatural powers and cook with more masterful writing; out of the oven comes ROAR.

You will totally eat this one up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOT CAMP PANDEMONIUM

Let me start by saying, WOW!, what a day;  Excited students, teachers, administrators, staff, volunteers, and parents. Northwest Middle was hopping with the Tablet Buzz yesterday.  Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students (700+) entered the gym and were greeted with smiling, happy faces.  It was a busy morning; everyone was exhilarated and filled with anticipation. All Smiles! Awesome Sixth Grade Teachers As students trickled in, teachers grabbed groups of 23 students, 3 boxes of tablets, and covers and headed off to their classrooms to begin BOOT CAMP. Before I go any further, I must digress and explain our school environment,  more specifically,  the 6th grade "village". Let me introduce you to our 6th grade "village": We reside in trailers, a huge pod of more than 12 "mobile units" connected by outdoor boardwalks and awnings.  We are backed by woods and close to a nearby farm that I have never seen, but have heard ...

Ode to Connectivity

Connectivity, Connectivity, Why are you such the irritating mystery? You thrash us to and fro, Knocking us out in vicious throws. By now, I thought you would discover, the needs - already uncovered. But instead we continue to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, distribution seems way too late. We are bound by your limitations, will you be ready by Holiday Vacation? What is standing in your way; the mobiles, the server, the electronic highway. We need several miracles here to get this thing going, get it in gear!! As we wait, and wait, and wait, for Thursday  -  the magical date. Stress Test - Yes, it was! STAY TUNED!!! (Distribution to 6th Grade Thursday, September 12th)

Great Success is always Predicted to Fail

How many times am I going to hear this??? "The kids will break them, lose them, and they will get stolen." "In 2 years the tablets will be irrelevant and useless." "The tablets will not solve our educational problems." By the way, educational problems will never be solved.  (That should be in that quote with death and taxes.) Is is not just human nature to resist change?  Absolutely!  But, hey, is all this negativity really necessary?   History speaks amazing success of many innovations and ideas that were doubted and predicted to fail. What I see is a general lack of knowledge, written by a whole bunch of people that went to school, but yet, have never spent one day teaching school.  FYI:  It's real different now. I would like to hear from an actual student;   talking about how the tablets are not going to help them, or how the tablets are useless, or how the tablets will be irrelevant in their education in 2 years, then, I think I would...