Skip to main content

Let's Talk Tablets

So I'm sure you have heard the tablets are coming back.  We all knew this was in the works and an agreement has been made.

So what's gonna be different this time around.

The Device Itself:  Check out the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VhDJ4QdSo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUENu7hY4RTjh_fIayi3zJnw

Connectivity: Our mobiles have been rewired and a WAP has been installed in each mobile.  Plus, the problems downtown with our "Internet Traffic" have been resolved.

Teacher Involvement:  This and the next four are part of a redesign to include stakeholders that will help "shepherd the process" of tablet role out.  PACE Task Teams have been formed and include staff and teacher representatives from a number of schools.  These teams have begun meeting to define and prioritize the issues and take action steps to resolve them.  I serve on the PACE Teacher Project Team and at our first meeting we brainstormed and recorded all the issues associated with the PACE Tablet Initiative and I have to say.... I was impressed.  Not only with the teacher representatives; their honesty, candidness, passion, and desire to improve, but also with the executive director, Jake Henry.  It's not very often you find a leader who is truly humble, passionate, and visionary; he is one of those leaders that you would "follow into the fire". 
And he is taking action to turn this ship around.

Teams of county-level staff and teacher representatives are meeting to discuss, troubleshoot, and plan in the following categories.  

Professional Development:  What should the initial professional development look like this summer? What types of professional development should occur throughout the school year?

Communications/Parent Involvement: What information or training should be provided to parents  How should the district be communicating about personalized learning and the PACE initiative?

Staff Roles:  Planning for inventory management, student training, student help desk guidelines, tech. trouble shooting at the school level.


Policy: What to do if a tablet is lost, broken, or damaged? How should the initial deployment occur, etc.?


There is a plan; and a good plan!
  We are the pioneers and our mistakes will allow us and others to succeed.  

After leaving the first PACE Teacher Project Team meeting, I couldn't help but think..............

How would you roll out something this big unless you made mistakes, learned from them, and regrouped to make it even better?
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOT CAMP PANDEMONIUM

Let me start by saying, WOW!, what a day;  Excited students, teachers, administrators, staff, volunteers, and parents. Northwest Middle was hopping with the Tablet Buzz yesterday.  Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students (700+) entered the gym and were greeted with smiling, happy faces.  It was a busy morning; everyone was exhilarated and filled with anticipation. All Smiles! Awesome Sixth Grade Teachers As students trickled in, teachers grabbed groups of 23 students, 3 boxes of tablets, and covers and headed off to their classrooms to begin BOOT CAMP. Before I go any further, I must digress and explain our school environment,  more specifically,  the 6th grade "village". Let me introduce you to our 6th grade "village": We reside in trailers, a huge pod of more than 12 "mobile units" connected by outdoor boardwalks and awnings.  We are backed by woods and close to a nearby farm that I have never seen, but have heard ...

Ode to Connectivity

Connectivity, Connectivity, Why are you such the irritating mystery? You thrash us to and fro, Knocking us out in vicious throws. By now, I thought you would discover, the needs - already uncovered. But instead we continue to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, distribution seems way too late. We are bound by your limitations, will you be ready by Holiday Vacation? What is standing in your way; the mobiles, the server, the electronic highway. We need several miracles here to get this thing going, get it in gear!! As we wait, and wait, and wait, for Thursday  -  the magical date. Stress Test - Yes, it was! STAY TUNED!!! (Distribution to 6th Grade Thursday, September 12th)

Great Success is always Predicted to Fail

How many times am I going to hear this??? "The kids will break them, lose them, and they will get stolen." "In 2 years the tablets will be irrelevant and useless." "The tablets will not solve our educational problems." By the way, educational problems will never be solved.  (That should be in that quote with death and taxes.) Is is not just human nature to resist change?  Absolutely!  But, hey, is all this negativity really necessary?   History speaks amazing success of many innovations and ideas that were doubted and predicted to fail. What I see is a general lack of knowledge, written by a whole bunch of people that went to school, but yet, have never spent one day teaching school.  FYI:  It's real different now. I would like to hear from an actual student;   talking about how the tablets are not going to help them, or how the tablets are useless, or how the tablets will be irrelevant in their education in 2 years, then, I think I would...